Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyers
Offices located in Sherman, TX
No End In Sight To Texas Auto Accidents
The latest figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) show that auto accident fatalities increased by six percent in 2016, which was bad news considering that auto accidents in 2015 increased by 7.2 percent. And the increases were across the board; meaning that SUVs, trucks, vans and pedestrian deaths caused by motor vehicles were all up in 2016.
This is a grim picture, but a true one that highlights the continuing dangers of driving in the U.S, because the number that is most concerning is that there were 4.6 million people injured in car wrecks in 2016. And many of those injuries required medical attention, rehabilitation, and the processing of legal claims against the drivers responsible.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Texas
Given the high number of accident injuries and fatalities, it is important to examine the reasons these accidents occur, which include:
- Driver Distraction – texting-while-driving, eating, chatting with a passenger, applying makeup, talking on a mobile phone, and staring at a GPS also fall under the category of ‘driver distraction.’ Anything that takes a driver’s eyes off the road or a driver’s hands off the wheel is considered distracted driving, and that split second of inattention can cause a devastating car wreck.
- Speeding – driving too fast has been one of the main contributors to car accidents for decades. Drivers who exceed the speed limit have a greater likelihood of losing control of a their cars, and causing a rear-end accident. Speeding also significantly increases the impact of a collision.
- Unsafe Lane Change – when drivers attempt to change lanes without properly ensuring that the lane is clear, they often cause an accident. Many drivers fail to turn their heads back to determine whether a lane is clear, and instead rely on their rearview mirrors, which often have blind spots.
- Impaired Driving – drivers who are impaired by illegal narcotics, alcohol or prescription medication will lose focus, concentration and reaction time, which often leads to an accident.
- Driver Fatigue – fatigue has become a huge problem within the commercial trucking industry, as drivers ignore rest periods to ensure timely deliveries. Fatigue makes drivers drowsy, slows reaction time, decreases concentration, and increases the chances of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Reckless Driving – running red lights, running stops signs, failing to yield right-of-way, racing other vehicles, and passing across a double yellow line are all defined as reckless driving.
Why You Need Our Texas Car Accident Lawyers
After you’ve suffered injuries in an auto accident, you may think that the other party’s insurance company will play fair with you, especially if there is evidence that you did not cause the crash – but that isn’t always the case.
Insurance companies are in the business of saving money and paying as little as possible in an auto insurance claim. Therefore, to protect your rights and to obtain your fair and rightful compensation, you will need to hire an experienced Sherman, TX personal injury lawyer.
The Texas car accident attorneys at David K. Wilson & Associates have that experience, as well as a track record of success in auto accident legal claims. If you want to discuss your case with a friendly and knowledgeable injury attorney, please call 903-870-9050 for a free consultation.