Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accidents do not get the same attention as motor vehicle crashes, but they remain a persistent problem in the U.S. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III) 4,976 people died in motorcycle accidents in 2015, which was an 8.3 percent increase from 2014. Furthermore, 88,000 motorcyclists suffered injuries in 2015, and a motorcycle rider was 29 times more likely to die in an accident or to suffer serious injuries than the driver or passenger of a motor vehicle.
These statistics show that motorcyclists face significant risks when they are out on the road, and that risk of injury or wrongful death increases if the motorcycle rider is 60 years of age or older.
That’s because older drivers have more brittle bones that can be easily broken or fractured in a crash, and the reaction time of older drivers is also slower than in younger drivers.
What Are Some Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycles have a higher chance of being hit by other vehicles because they are smaller and more easily lost in traffic than large vehicles.
The most common causes or situations that lead to a motorcycle accident include:
- Rear-End Crashes – a high number of motorcycles are rear-ended by other vehicles. This is due to the fact that motorcycles are shorter in length than motor vehicles, which causes driver of large cars to follow too closely and not brake in time to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Lane Changing – motorcycles are able to maneuver through traffic and change lanes much easier than motor vehicles. However, that same dexterity also creates situations in which the driver of a motor vehicle is unable to see a motorcycle rider switching lanes, and hits the motorcycle, causing injury or death.
- Left Turn – left turns are always fraught with danger, but this is especially true when a motorcycle is driving straight in oncoming traffic and a motor vehicle driver attempts to turn left without gauging the speed of that motorcycle. Remember, motorcycles often move at a much faster speed than cars, which vehicle drivers must take into account when making a left turn.
- Dooring – dooring occurs when the driver of a car opens a door in the path of a bicyclist or motorcycle, causing an accident. While the liability for this type of accident can be split between the motorcycle rider and the driver of the car, it is more common that the fault lies with the driver of the car, or the passenger of a car who opened the door.
Legal Claims in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders are not given the same respect on the road as the drivers of motor vehicles. If you have suffered injuries as the result of another driver’s actions, please contact the team at David K. Wilson & Associates for a free legal consultation. We would love to offer you all the options for a legal claim against the responsible party
Motorcycle riders have a greater chance of suffering serious injuries or death, because they are not enclosed in a vehicle that can bear the brunt of an accident.
Some of the more common injuries motorcycle riders suffer, include:
- Road Burn – this occurs when a motorcycle rider is thrown from his bike and skids across the road. Road burn can cause serious burns, cuts, abrasions and scrapes that may take weeks and months of recovery.
- Head Trauma – even riders who wear helmets may strike the ground or another piece of property with enough force to cause severe head trauma. Concussions and skull fractures are common in motorcycle accidents.
- Spinal Trauma – when riders are thrown from their bikes, they are more likely to suffer spine damage, including broken vertebrae and severed vertebrae that can lead to paralysis.
Personal Injury Truck Accident $2,500,000 Settlement
Personal Injury Semi-Truck Accident $10,000,000 Settlement
Wrongful Death Semi Truck Accident $1,750,000 Settlement
“Great personal injury lawyers and great people. I would recommend this law firm to anyone in Texas.” - John
“David K. Wilson and associates, the are the real deal. Informative, efficient, effective. The gave me better results than I expected. I highly recommend this firm to all who expect great representation.” - Former Client
“Great Personal Injury Lawyer” - John