Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
Offices Located In Sherman, TX, No End In Sight To Texas Auto Accidents
The latest figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) show that auto accident fatalities increased by six percent in 2016. This was bad news considering that auto accidents in 2015 increased by 7.2 percent. And the increases were across the board; meaning that SUVs, trucks, vans and pedestrian deaths caused by motor vehicles were all up in 2016.
This is a grim picture. However, it truly highlights the continuing dangers of driving in the U.S. Furthermore, the number that is most concerning is that there were 4.6 million people injured in car wrecks in 2016. And many of those injuries required medical attention, rehabilitation, and the processing of legal claims against the drivers responsible.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Texas
Given the high number of accident injuries and fatalities, it is important to examine the reasons these accidents occur. These include:
- Driver Distraction – texting-while-driving, eating, chatting with a passenger, applying makeup, talking on a mobile phone, and staring at a GPS also fall under the category of ‘driver distraction.’ Anything that takes a driver’s eyes off the road or a driver’s hands off the wheel is distracted driving. Unfortunately, that split second of inattention can cause a devastating car wreck.
- Speeding – driving too fast has been one of the main contributors to car accidents for decades. Drivers who exceed the speed limit have a greater likelihood of losing control of a their cars. Often this results in a rear-end accident. Speeding also significantly increases the impact of a collision.
- Unsafe Lane Change – when drivers attempt to change lanes without properly ensuring that the lane is clear, they often cause an accident. Many drivers fail to turn their heads back to determine whether a lane is clear. Instead, they rely on their rearview mirrors, which often have blind spots.
- Impaired Driving – drivers impaired by illegal narcotics, alcohol or prescription medication will lose focus, concentration and reaction time. This then often leads to an accident.
- Driver Fatigue – fatigue has become a huge problem within the commercial trucking industry, as drivers ignore rest periods to ensure timely deliveries. Fatigue makes drivers drowsy, slows reaction time, decreases concentration, and increases the chances of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Reckless Driving – running red lights, running stops signs, failing to yield right-of-way, racing other vehicles, and passing across a double yellow line are all defined as reckless driving.
Why You Need Our Texas Car Accident Lawyers
After you suffer injuries in an auto accident, you may think that the other party’s insurance company will play fair. But, in fact, even if there is evidence that you did not cause the crash, that’s not what the insurance company will do.
Insurance companies are in the business of saving money and paying as little as possible in an auto insurance claim. Therefore, to protect your rights and to obtain your fair and rightful compensation, you will need to hire an experienced Sherman, TX personal injury lawyer.
The Texas car accident attorney at David K. Wilson & Associates have that experience, as well as a track record of success in auto accident legal claims. If you want to discuss your case with a friendly and knowledgeable injury attorney, then please call (903) 870-9050 for a free consultation.